Friday 1 June 2012

Summer sickness/Triathlon training

I'm sick of being sick.  As I mentioned in a previous post, my sister had her first baby and I was looking forward to going to see the little one, and still haven't been healthy enough to go, and the baby was born on May 9th (I've been sick since about the 7th or so).  Heading to the clinic today to see what is causing it, because it's not normal in my opinion, and am worried it might shift to pneumonia because of my stupid asthmatic lungs.

Aside from the nasty cold or whatever, I've been doing a lot of reading on triathlon training, and I decided that as opposed to taking the plunge for summer 2013 that I'd do my first one this summer to give me a starting reference point, and to see if I like it.  I can tell you that I love the changes I'm noticing, like that post pregnancy belly firming up slightly again and the extra skin being reabsorbed.  Gives me hope.

So Wednesday I headed down to the municipal pool for my first lap swim in over 5 years (probably closer to 7 years...) and was pleasantly surprised that I managed to swim 1000m in my first session.  Mind you, that's 1000m that consisted mostly of breaststroke (150m front crawl in 50m sets).  Still encouraging that muscle memory is there.  I went again this morning and managed to pull of the exact same workout but I did a 750m non-stop set to mimic the triathlon sprint distance for swim.  Not bad, my time was slow, but obviously considering I was swimming breaststroke most of the way.  I'll create a training program that'll see me up the front crawl sets in the next few weeks, I'm going to have crazy training plans soon..  Brings me back to my swimming instructor days..

The cycling is going to be killer, my quads need a ton of work.  I only need to cycle 20km, but at this point, that could very well be 200km, because I find doing 3 pretty hard (I have to learn the gears on my new bike.. It's been a while I'm not sure how to use the lever gears to my advantage).

The running I'll work on more when my stupid sickness clears up, because my lungs are not up to it while I'm sick.  I figure that even if I haven't managed to up my total run distance to 5km by the race, they don't DQ you for walking, so I could do that.

Overall I'm pretty proud of myself.  During my brief sickness related hiatus from my blog, I had an order for a hockey rink cake to serve 25 and another order for 60 cupcakes with a 6" round fondant covered cake with gum paste flowers, so that was really fun to do while suppressing a fever, but I did it, even if I was up until 1 am both nights to finish the orders on time.  I figure I use the profits for those to invest in my training and equipment I'll need for both the triathlon and for the 5km race in Ottawa in September (I'd better be in shape by then!)

I'll post the cakes in another post and discuss my new experiments that I'll be doing today.  I'm having fun with some recipes, let's just leave it at that for now (hehehe).

The races I'm registered for -
Canada Army run 5km race on September 23, 2012 in Ottawa, ON
Esprit Montreal Triathlon Sprint distance (750m swim, 20 km bike, 5km run) September 8, 2012 in Montreal, QC

WISH ME LUCK!

***Totally off topic, but I find it hillarious when the spellcheck feature they use on a blog doesn't recognise the word "blog".  Just sayin'.

3 comments:

  1. What training equipment do you need for the races you're registered for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly need a good triathlon suit (skin tight jogging stuff that dries quickly) and a wetsuit to go over it for my swim. One ir two mods to my bike to make it more ridable. That's pretty much it, the rest I have I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly need a good triathlon suit (skin tight jogging stuff that dries quickly) and a wetsuit to go over it for my swim. One ir two mods to my bike to make it more ridable. That's pretty much it, the rest I have I think.

    ReplyDelete