Sunday 29 April 2012

Cheeseburger

So I've been meaning to make a cake, because I love making cakes, and I wanted to make it special, kind of different.  Well, I had fun with this yesterday and decided to make cheeseburger cakes.  I didn't want to make a giant cheeseburger cake, I wanted to make it more lifelike, but couldn't figure out how to get it the right size.  Muffin tins are too small and I swung by the cake store and the only thing they had that was close to the right size were small bundt cake pans, but I didn't want the hole in the middle, it would have been too much work to fill the hole.  I stopped by one of my favourite places (the dollar store) and went to the baking section to see if I could see anything that worked..  Well, I found individual sized pot pie pans in 8 packs (the disposable ones).  It was perfect and I got pumped..

There were several challenges while making the burger.  First, I wanted to patty to overhang the bun, kind of like a real hamburger, so I made a thin cake (like the kind I make roll cakes out of on a cookie sheet with parchment paper).  Next I filled 6 of the pot pie pans 3/4 of the way and plunked it all in the oven and set to work making my fondant and icing.  Fondant takes FOREVER to make from scratch and it a lot of hard work for the hands and arms kneading it constantly, it took almost 30 minutes to get it the right consistency.  Finally, it was time to split the fondant and add colour (The "bun" is coloured with a touch of chocolate brown and a lot of ivory colour, and the cheese was a mix between yellow and orange - which strangely looked perfectly like processed cheese on my first try!).  Each of the "pot pie" cakes were sliced in 2 (top and bottom of bun) and I rolled out the fondant and covered both with butter cream (thin layer) then fondant, topped it off with the hand cut circles for the patty, the "cheese" then red butter cream icing for the "ketchup" and topped it off with the top of the bun where I made little sesame seed like dots of white butter cream for a bit of decoration.  It wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I was pretty happy with it!  And it took a really long time!



After the joys of eating the cheeseburger (one burger serves about 3) I definitely need to go out for a bike ride since the weather finally cleared up, and it's chilly but at least it's not raining.  I think I'll take a break from cool cakes for a bit and focus a bit more on my fitness regimen!

1 comment:

  1. Truly outstanding! Creative, delicious, and now I want both a hamburger and a hamburger cake.

    ReplyDelete